This is a statement of your beliefs about yourself, people and your outlook on life in your industry. Your work philosophy is often used to see if you match the culture of the business. Do you fit the “style” of the company? (Accounting)
Activity – List 5 adjectives that you think other’s might use to describe you. (Note, not how you might describe yourself, but how you think others see you). Use the adjectives to guide your work philosophy statement, serving as the core thoughts and keywords
Here’s how to approach this assignment:
- Don’t rush it – give this some time to “percolate” so that you get it right.
- Place your most important belief first – should be unique to you, should communicate who you are and what makes you different from others who may want the same position
- Length – one to four sentences
- Use bullets for clarity
Sample Work Philosophy
- The customer always comes first
- Financial and operational controls must be clear to all members of the company
- Technology will be critical in reaching the guests and communicating within the company
- I want to be part of a cohesive team of people.